While there is no denying that fishing is a relaxing hobby, for many, the fish they catch are consumed by the family. Freshwater fishing is often ‘catch and release’, while sea fishing offers the option; some species are delicious and other are inedible; there’s nothing quite like BBQ-ing your catch.
One of the attractive aspects of fishing is that you never know what the day will bring and if you wish to increase the poundage of a day’s catch, here are a few tips.
- Listen to the locals – When you arrive at a new fishing venue, the first thing to do is talk to the locals about bait, method of fishing and the best location. If you have booked a fishing charter in Merimbula, you won’t have to worry about any of these variables, as the skipper knows it all, thus maximising your chances of a busy day.
- Experiment – If things are quiet, why not make changes? Try a different bait or change the way you present the bait; this could be the difference between a blank day and a productive one. Always take at least 3 types of bait and a good selection of lures and don’t be afraid to try something new. Fishing can be difficult in terms of knowing the best rig set up, bait and even location; don’t give up and try different tactics.
- Research online – Once you target a fishing venue, find out what you can on the Internet about the water. What time of the day is best for fishing, what bait is popular and what species might you expect to catch. The time of year has an impact of fishing, as does water temperature; simply put, the more you can find out about a new venue, the better your chances of a good day.
- Ground bait the target area – Whether you are fishing on the surface or the bottom, it is always a good idea to drop ground bait right on top of where you are fishing. This attracts fish to the area and if a fish sees your bait, you should get a bite and hopefully, hook the fish.
- Cast and rebait frequently – Don’t leave your bait in the water for longer than 15 minutes, recasting with fresh bait increases your chances of a bite.
Fishing is an addictive pastime and we hope that the above tips help you to consistently land more fish.