Modern dentistry has come a long way to provide quality care with utmost precision and patient compliance. CEREC is a revolutionary innovation in the field of restorative dentistry, which aids in reforming the tooth to its original form in just a single visit.
San Diego family and cosmetic dentistry comprises skilled dental specialists that offer premium quality CEREC crowns with excellent durability, providing permanent protection to the tooth.
An insight into CEREC crowns
CEREC (Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramic) is an advanced technology that creates tooth-colored restorations in a single visit. CEREC crowns are tooth-shaped porcelain caps that completely engulf the tooth that is damaged due to dental decay or trauma.
These affordable crowns are fabricated on the same day using a CEREC system that comprises a computer-aided design and manufacturing unit (CAD/CAM).
Potential benefits of CEREC crowns
CEREC crowns are gaining immense popularity owing to a wide range of benefits offered. They:
- Are aesthetic restorations and easily blend with the natural teeth
- Are designed and created on the same day
- Are time-saving restorations
- Are highly affordable since they cut down the number of dental visits
- Can restore your oral function immediately
- Require less drilling, thus preserving most of the tooth structure
- Do not require tedious procedures like messy impressions
- Provide a perfect fit
- Are sturdy and stain and abrasion-resistant
- Are long-lasting (around 10 to 15 years)
The procedure involved in the fabrication of CEREC crowns
CEREC crowns are easily fabricated in a single visit through the following procedural steps:
- Tooth isolation using a rubber dam to prevent excess moisture around the affected tooth.
- Tooth preparation following the routine procedure
- Capturing digital images of the bite and teeth using an intraoral scanner
- Creating a 3D model using digital impressions or images, and the data is sent to the milling machine
- Placing a ceramic block into the milling unit.
- Fabricating a digital crown on the basis of the surrounding dentition using CAD/CAM technology. This takes just 15 minutes.
- Giving the final touches to the crown to match the shade with the natural teeth.
- Solidifying the crown in the ceramic oven for about 10 minutes.
The fit of the crown will be checked in your mouth, and necessary adjustments will be made and delivered to you. The entire procedure will be completed in just about 2 hours.
Same-day CEREC crowns are most preferred due to several benefits discussed earlier. However, you can increase longevity by caring for the crown through routine brushing, flossing, regular dental visits, and professional cleanings.